Download / Install
The core WP Symposium plugin (actually a set of plugins) can be downloaded for free from the WordPress website. The simplest way to install WP Symposium is via your WordPress admin dashboard, below plugins, choose Add New and search for “WP Symposium”.
- Forum (too many features to list!)
- Member Profiles
- Activity and status messages (like the Facebook™ wall)
- Private Mail
- Member Directory/Search
- Panel to see unread mail and friends online
- Live chat windows and a chatroom for members (please note, the “chat” bar on this website is CometChat as a demonstration of how it can integrate with WP Symposium. Read more on chat options.)
- Latest forum posts widget
- Latest member status posts widget
- Friends online widget
- Unanswered forum posts widget (if using a Q&A style forum)
- Comprehensive administration options
- Set styles via “pick-and-choose”
“Bronze” plugins are included in the download!
In addition to the free suite of plugins above, there are further plugins available for WP Symposium. These plugins are included in the download from WordPress.org with the core plugins above. The plugins available include:
- Profile Plus
- Sliding/scrolling profile menu
- Likes and Dislikes on Profile Activity
- @user tags
- Enable distance on member directory
- “Hover box” over member avatars
- Site wide, customisable search
- Group activity stream
- Group Forum
- Galleries (Photo albums)
- Events and event management
- Facebook Shared Staus
- RSS Activity Feed (Follow member’s activity)
- Alerts (notifications)
- Yes/No Vote Widget
- The Lounge (chat room)
Try before you buy
These Bronze plugins are included for two reasons, so:
- you can try them out on your site first
- once you are a Bronze member, you simply enter an activation code to remove the polite notice that shows if you are using them on your site (no further downloads or configuration required).
For “Bronze” subscribers
After you have upgraded your account to at least Bronze level, you will:
- be able to enter an activation code removing the notification banner than shows if you use a Bronze plugin (get your activation code here)
- have access to a helpdesk for a guaranteed response
- have access to a VIP forum area for bronze and silver members
Your first stop should be the support page, it lists all the various places you can get support including:
- an admin guide (not yet complete – nearly there, but feel free to use as-is)
- What to try first
- how to get to the WPS Wiki
You can also get a personal guaranteed response via the helpdesk if you are a Bronze (or higher) member, please read carefully the information available.
Download the Nightly Build/Release Candidate
The download at WordPress.org is the current official release. The download below reflects the latest version of the local development copy.
- Anyone can download the current nightly build/release candidate.
- It is not recommended for use on live websites, although it will be in use on www.wpsymposium.com! In other words, use at your own risk.
- It will include all completed items on the development priority list
What version is the download?
The download available will always match the code on this website. This is shown at the bottom of the page (in the footer) and is running on this website.
Nightly Builds (NBs) are made available during the “development phase” of the next release when new features are added in addition to bug fixes. If you choose to install a nightly build you do so at your own risk. It is not currently being supported as changes will be occurring daily and is not recommended for live sites.
Release Candidates (RCs) represent the “testing phase” where the focus is on addressing any identified bugs prior to the official release and we will investigate all reported bugs. A release candidate is not an official release, so not recommended for live sites (although will be more stable that nightly builds).
The version (in the format year.month) represents the planned month of release, so for example v12.10 is planned for release in October 2012. The version number is followed by NB or RC and a sequential number, so for example v12.10 RC3 is the third Release Candidate of v12.10.
Problem with the downloaded ZIP file?
If your downloaded ZIP file is reported as corrupt or can’t be opened, try downloading via Firefox or Chrome (Internet Explorer sometimes downloads ZIP file incorrectly it seems).
I have read the release notes and accept the conditions shown above.
(Use the button above, or click here to download).
Download installation instruction
- Download the ZIP file and extract the contents – you will see a folder called wp-symposium.
- Take a copy of the current wp-symposium folder in your plugins folder (so you can revert back to current version if need be).
- Delete the current wp-symposium folder via FTP or your file manager.
Do not delete them via the WordPress Plugins admin page!!
- Using FTP (or your file manager if on your local computer) place the extracted wp-symposium folder (from step 1) into your plugins folder.
- You may need to re-activate the WP Symposium plugins (check your WordPress Plugins admin page and read the current release notes on the blog).
- After visiting the WordPress admin dashboard, read new welcome page, including the summary of new features and changes, and check your Installation page that all is well in the world…